School premises: health and safety
- Fire safety in schools: guidance Understand guidance on fire safety in schools, including fire alarms, soft furnishings and staff training, and read expert advice from the London Fire Brigade and Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service.
- Health and safety audit: template and examples Use our template to help you conduct a health and safety audit in your school. See examples of audit and inspection checklists from local authorities.
- Health and safety checklist: school office Download and use our checklist to assess the health and safety arrangements in your school offices, and record any actions you need to take.
- Health and safety checklists for classrooms Use these health and safety checklists for classrooms to save time and make sure staff and pupils are working in a safe environment. Download our specialist classrooms checklist to use alongside a checklist from the Health and Safety Executive.
Health and safety duties of trusts: overview template and how to comply
As a trust, you have health and safety duties because you're the employer. Be clear on what these are and understand how to fulfil them. Use our overview tool to help you keep track of and monitor your requirements across your trust.
For Trust Leaders
- Health and safety: regular duties for schools Find out which health and safety checks you should perform daily, weekly, termly and annually to stay on top of your statutory duties, and see examples of other schools' regular health and safety checks.
- School temperatures: guidance Workplaces, including classrooms, must be kept at a 'reasonable' temperature. Read guidance on maximum and minimum temperatures, including recommendations from unions.
- Signing visitors in and out It's up to you whether you ask visitors to sign in and out. Find out what to consider when deciding, and have a look at the approaches some schools take.