School admission register
All schools need to hold an admission register. Find out what should be in it and see answers to frequently asked questions.
You must have an admission register
All schools must have an admission register, including independent schools.
See page 12 of the DfE's guidance on working together to improve school attendance.
Your register must contain an index, in alphabetical order, of all the pupils at the school.
It must include the following details for each pupil:
- Full name
- The name and address of every known parent and an indication of the parent(s) with whom the child normally resides
- Emergency contact details of the parent with whom the pupil normally lives
- Date of birth
- Date of admission (or re-admission) to the school
- Name and address of the school last attended, if any
- Where applicable, whether the pupil is a boarder or a day pupil
You must record the details above on the register from the start of the agreed start date that the pupil