Assessment approaches in special schools
Get to grips with requirements and best practice for assessment in special schools. Learn from an ‘outstanding’ provider’s approach to baselining, assessing and analysing pupil progress.
- Statutory assessment requirements in the EYFS
- Statutory assessment requirements in primary and beyond
- Set out your assessment policy
- Assess pupils on entry, to get a baseline
- Use the baseline to help you set targets
- Track how pupils make progress against these targets
- Review targets and plan for future learning
- Analyse progress at a whole-school level
Statutory assessment requirements in the EYFS
The statutory assessment requirements for special schools are the same as for mainstream schools. There are 3 statutory assessments you are required to set pupils:
- Progress check at age 2
- Reception baseline assessment
- EYFS profile
Find out more about assessment requirements in the EYFS in another article from The Key.
Statutory assessment requirements in primary and beyond
Select the appropriate assessment based on the level the pupil is working at relative to the standard of the National Curriculum.
Pupils who aren’t engaged in subject specific study
Use the engagement model of SEN assessment. Find out more about the engagement model in another article from The Key.
Pupils who are engaged in subject-specific study but are working below the standard of the National Curriculum assessments