Keeping the cost down this holiday season
See ideas on how to keep celebrations inclusive and sustainable for pupils, families and staff who might be struggling financially at this time of year. Use our template letter to reassure parents that you're doing everything you can to reduce the cost of celebrations in school.
- Download, adapt and share our letter to parents
- Make it clear that families don't need to donate this year
- Consider alternatives to Christmas Jumper Day
- Promote handmade and sustainable gifts and cards
- Reduce the cost of performances
- Run free stalls at your festive fair
- Signpost families to local support
- Provide a community outlet for seasonal generosity
- Reduce financial pressures for staff, too
As the increased cost of living continues to put pressure on both family and school finances, it's both harder and more important than ever to bear cost in mind when planning festive celebrations.
The following is intended as inspiration to consider when planning your festive celebrations, so you can do what you can to support your community through this holiday season.
Find more general advice on how to manage the impact of the cost-of-living crisis on your school.
Download, adapt and share our letter to parents
Use it to give parents and carers:
- Reassurance that you understand what they may be going through this holiday season
- Information about how you're adapting festive celebrations to take into account that many have tighter budgets
- Advance notice of any costs associated with winter events, so they have a chance to prepare