Navigate the cost-of-living crisis this holiday season
Reduce financial barriers where you can to your festive celebrations this year. Use our template letter to reassure parents that you're doing everything you can to keep the cost of celebrations down in school, and see ideas on how to support your pupils, families and staff at this time of year.
- Download, adapt and share our letter to parents
- Make it clear that families don't need to donate this year
- Consider alternatives for Christmas Jumper Day
- Promote handmade and sustainable gifts and cards
- Reduce the cost of performances
- Run free stalls at your festive fair
- Signpost families to local support
- Provide a community outlet to seasonal generosity
- Reduce financial pressures for staff, too
You're going to need to balance the needs of your pupils, families and staff, with your own school budget capabilities this year. The following is intended as inspiration to consider when planning your festive celebrations, so you can do what you can to support your community through this holiday season.
Find more general advice on how to manage the impact of the cost-of-living crisis on your school.
Note: if you're looking to take a multi-faith or secular approach to the winter holiday festivities, you can still apply this guidance. Find out more about inclusive winter celebrations.
Download, adapt and share our letter to parents
Use it to give parents and carers:
KeyDoc: template letter