Trans pupils: summary of legal rights
Understand your legal responsibilities around supporting transgender pupils in your school and learn how to make informed decisions around the arrangements you put in place.
This is a complex and evolving topic, and our understanding is developing all the time.
While we can't advise on individual cases, within this article we've set out the essential rules to follow and some considerations to bear in mind. For guidance on a more complex situation, seek legal guidance (see more below).
We will update this article accordingly, in response to new guidance and/or cases. Click 'save for later' at the top of the article to be alerted when we do.
Seek legal advice on any challenging decisions you make
For each decision you make that's complex, or where you're faced with challenge, we highly recommend you seek expert legal advice. Even if you have a policy covering arrangements for transgender pupils, you'll
Also in 'Pupil wellbeing'
- Fasting during Ramadan: supporting pupils
- How to talk to pupils about Russia’s invasion of Ukraine
- Monitoring pupils' mental health and wellbeing: tools
- Navigate the cost-of-living crisis this holiday season
- Personal education plans (PEPs) for looked after children
- Providing free period products: guidance and tools