EHC and SEN support plans
- Annual reviews of EHC plans: guidance and process Find out about the requirements for reviewing education, health and care (EHC) plans from the SEND Code of Practice, including who should conduct the review in your school and how to carry it out. Plus, see examples of local authority guidance and templates.
- EHC assessment applications: your guide to gathering evidence Learn how to create a strong application for an education, health and care (EHC) needs assessment, including the evidence to provide and tips on making the application clear and comprehensive.
- EHC plans: sample formats There's no one format that must be followed for education, health and care (EHC) plans, but they must include certain information. Read on to find out what this is and see template plans from local authorities.
- How to help pupils with SEN contribute to their targets Learn how to encourage pupils with SEN to be more involved in setting targets for their school-based plans or EHC plans. Download our pupil-friendly templates to record their views, and get tips on how to better include pupils in review meetings.
- How to write outcomes for EHC plans Find out what you need to consider when developing outcomes for education, health and care (EHC) plans, and have a look at some examples.
- SEN support plans: guidance and templates What you include in a pupil's SEN support plan will depend on the purpose of the plan. Get help deciding what you need to cover and use our templates to help you develop a school-based plan.
- Using individual education plans (IEPs) You're not required to create IEPs anymore, but take a look at some suggestions about what to include if you do use them.
Identifying SEN and running interventions
- Identifying pupils with SEN Get tips on best practice for identifying and assessing special educational needs (SEN). Help your teachers spot whether a pupil may have SEN with our guide and template referral form.
- Internal SEN referral form: template and examples Download our template form designed to help teachers refer a pupil to your SENCO, and see 2 more examples of the referral form to help you to create your own.
- Observing pupils with SEND: templates Use our templates to record observations of your pupils with special educational needs and/or disabilities, both in the classroom and in the playground.
- Recording and monitoring interventions: template forms Download our forms to record and monitor interventions for all pupils with special educational needs (SEN) in one document.
- Tools for assessing and tracking pupils' SEMH Use this list to find the right tool to assess pupils' social, emotional and mental health (SEMH) needs, and track their progress.
Managing and improving SEN provision
- Additional needs register: template and advice Download our template additional needs register to help you track more vulnerable pupils across your school. Learn who to include on the register and see an example from a school.
- Costing SEN provision for individual pupils Find out how to calculate the cost of special educational needs (SEN) provision for individual pupils, track provision costs, and what funding is available for pupils with high needs. Use our templates to save you time.
- Deploying TAs effectively: pupils with EHC plans Some pupils with education, health and care (EHC) plans are entitled to 1:1 support from a teaching assistant (TA), with that time classed as protected. Find out how to make the most effective use of TAs when supporting pupils with EHC plans.
- How to make your provision more inclusive Does your provision cater to the needs of all of your pupils? Find out with our range of audits and checklists to help you identify any areas for improvement.
- Identifying and addressing staff development needs around SEND Use our questionnaire to identify your teaching staff's development needs around special educational needs and disability (SEND), and get advice on how to address these needs.
- Local offer: what you need to know Find out what the local offer is and what it means for your school. See examples from different local authorities, and how schools refer to the local offer on their websites.
- National data on SEN Find out the most recent national data on the proportion of pupils with special educational needs (SEN), based on the January 2022 census.
- Pupils with SEND: lesson planning audit Use our audit tool to identify where teachers are confident differentiating their lesson plans for pupils with SEND, and where they might need more support. Find further resources to help you monitor SEND provision.
- Running high-quality SEND provision Use these hand-picked resources to help you manage your responsibilities as a SENCO and improve your provision.
- SENCO handover: template If your SENCO leaves, use our handover template to cover all the bases and make sure your school continues to meet the needs of all pupils with SEN.
- SENCO's year planner Get organised with our annual planner for special educational needs co-ordinators (SENCOs). You'll find strategic aims for the autumn, spring and summer terms to help you plan your diary, and a list of operational tasks to schedule in throughout the year.
- SEND Code of Practice: a summary Read our summary to help you comply with the SEND Code of Practice. Find out how the EHC assessment process works, and share our handout with staff to help them understand their responsibilities under the code.
- SEND provision: requirements and best practice audit Complete our audit to have total confidence you've got everything in place for pupils with SEND and are meeting the statutory requirements of the SEND Code of Practice.
- SEND register: template and advice Download our template register to help you manage SEND provision across your school. Get guidance on managing the register, and use our template letter to notify parents and carers when their child has been added.
- SEN provision: effective collaboration Understand how teaching staff and the SENCO work together to deliver the graduated approach to SEN support. Be clear on their responsibilities so you can give your staff the confidence to support pupils with SEN.
- SEN provision in the EYFS: requirements Understand what's required of early years providers under the SEND Code of Practice, including identifying needs, managing SEN support, requesting EHC assessments and helping with transition.
- SEN provision mapping UpdatedEvidence how you meet the needs of pupils with SEN and additional needs, measure the impact of your interventions and calculate their cost, by downloading our template provision maps to improve your SEN provision mapping.
Working with parents of pupils with SEN
- Parental opposition to SEN provision If parents are opposed to SEN provision for their child, take a look at this article for guidance on how to address their concerns.
- Parent factsheet: SEN support Share our factsheet with parents so they can find out what support your school has for children with special educational needs (SEN).
- SEN review meetings with parents: guidance Be clear on the requirements and get guidance on how to run special educational needs (SEN) review meetings, including what to cover, who to invite and next steps. Download our record template so you can keep track of key points in the meeting.