Highlights from school evaluation and improvement
Self-evaluation forms (SEFs)
- Self-evaluation form (SEF): checklist and template Use our SEF checklist to plan your monitoring activities and see what Ofsted is looking for. Download our template to help you evaluate your school against the Ofsted framework. Plus, see examples from a range of schools.
- Self-evaluation form (SEF): SIAMS Download the Church of England's evaluation schedule for the statutory inspection of Anglican and Methodist schools (SIAMS), and see examples of completed self-evaluation forms from primary schools.
- Subject reports: primary Get advice on writing a subject leader report in primary school. See examples of subject reports from primary schools for core and non-core subjects.
- Annual schedule for school self-evaluation (primary) Download our template school self-evaluation schedule to help you plan tasks for senior leaders, middle leaders and governors throughout the year.
- Formula for evaluating the quality of teaching See how to develop your own formula to measure the quality of teaching in your school. Also find a research report on effective methods of teacher evaluation, and how a MAT measures teachers' performance linked to pay progression.
- How to evaluate the effectiveness of your department Read on for details of 8 key actions to take when evaluating your subject department, with tips from our experts on analysing results, conducting pupil voice surveys and creating an action plan.
How to plan effective self-evaluation across your trust
Self-evaluation is an essential aspect of continuous improvement. Chris Kirk, director of CJK Associates, shares his principles of strong self-evaluation and what these mean in practice.
For Trust Leaders
How to use a standardised school-grading system across your trust: case study
You need an accurate picture of the strengths and weaknesses across your schools so you can prioritise effectively and report to the board. Stephen Astley from Unity Schools Partnership shares how his trust uses a standardised grading system to achieve this. Follow his tips to implement this approach in your trust too.
For Trust Leaders
- Key performance indicators (KPIs) for schools and trusts See examples of key performance indicators and how to use them effectively alongside your school improvement plan (SIP) or strategic plan. Find specific advice about financial KPIs, which academy trusts are required to set.
- Sustainability: whole-school audit Use our audit tool to help you look at sustainability across all your practices and infrastructure. Find out more about where you can get external help with your audit, and how you can use it to set priorities for change.
- Tips for writing your school self-evaluation form (SEF) Get help with writing your SEF, so you can be confident it's set up to support your school's development.
- Tracking progress against school improvement targets Understand how you can track progress against targets in your school improvement plan (SIP), and download our template to save you time.