Last reviewed on 13 May 2022
School types: All · School phases: All
Ref: 44688

Read guidance and advice on requirements around sharing information about capability procedures. Find out what you have to disclose to governing bodies and future employers.

Notifying the LA of a dismissal

Community and voluntary controlled schools

Your school’s governing board must notify the local authority (LA) when it determines that any person employed by the LA to work at the school should cease to work there (see The School Staffing (England) Regulations 2009, regulations 8, 11, 20, 23 and 32). 

The notification must include the reasons for determining this. 

This is also set out in the model teacher appraisal and capability policy for schools (page 14). 

Voluntary aided and foundation schools

The same regulations do not apply unless the member of staff is employed by the LA.

References for former teachers

This is explained in the staffing and employment advice for schools (paragraph 2.4, page 7). The requirements

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


Get safeguarding peace of mind this summer term

Walk into the summer term with everything you need to maintain safeguarding vigilance in your school.

Download our summer term briefing pack, available for free to DSLs for a limited time only.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.