Last reviewed on 5 September 2023
School types: All · School phases: All
Ref: 37039

Find out how Brexit has changed your requirements when hiring teachers from overseas. See how these teachers can get qualified teacher status (QTS), and understand how to recruit them – by becoming a visa sponsor or by other routes.

Overseas applicants will need a visa or right to work

The UK introduced this points-based system in January 2021.

All overseas nationals, including those from the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, come under it.

Applicants have the right to work in the UK if they:

  • Are Irish citizens
  • Have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • Have indefinite leave to remain in the UK

These applicants won't need a visa, although you may still need to take extra steps to check their qualifications.

All other overseas applicants will need one of the following types of visa:

The Skilled Worker visa

You're a licensed Home Office employer sponsor (see below) and have offered them a teaching